Monday, October 3, 2011

The standoff.

And now we're into October. The leaves are beginning to turn, and temperatures are starting to drop indoors and out.

Speaking of drop, if I catch the little tree rat that keeps digging up my geranium, I'm gonna drop-kick him into the bushes across the street. I give you corn, you creep! Stay out of my plants!

Anyhow, the falling temps. Since we live in a house of hardwood floors, it's time to break out the socks and slippers. And sweaters and blankets. It's kind of a competition around our neighborhood. "Did you turn on the heater yet?"

It's funny how that one little phrase can be such a source of pride or humiliation. Admitting to turning up the heat before January is apparently like confessing that you like ketchup on your kittens or something. A shameful thing. On the other hand, you score big if you can point to the thermostat with a shivering blue finger and announce, "Yep, still off!"

In my opinion, if you can't hear the radio over the chattering of your teeth, it's time to crank up the thermostat. Some like it hot. Do you?

2 comments:

  1. After the ice storm a couple of years ago that left us without power for 9 days, "cold" has a new meaning for me. I can stand it pretty chilly now and not feel impossibly cold. Charlie (my husband), on the other hand, feels the cold more. It's kind of funny, his turning up the heat while I'm gritting my teeth and soldiering on. :)

    Marian Allen
    Fantasies, mysteries, comedies, recipes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi my friend! I want to say that this post is awesome,
    great written and include approximately all vital infos.

    I would like to see more posts like this .

    Also visit my page: ford ranger

    ReplyDelete

It's not an answering machine, but your message is still welcome.