Monday, February 7, 2011

Green Monday: batteries.

We have a little boy, therefore we have ten billion battery-operated toys. With the toys comes the inevitable mountain of dead batteries, because even rechargeable batteries will fritz out eventually.

Since I'm not keen on dumping so much chemical crud into the local landfill, I've been looking for an alternative method of disposal. A little searching turned up Battery Solutions, a recycling center just for batteries.

I went through the FAQ list, and came away with mixed feelings.

On the one hand, I think it's great that there's a business devoted to recycling an item that many people would toss out with nary a second thought. The battery recycling process reclaims plastic for making new battery cases, zinc for rebar, and quite a few other materials for industrial use. Re-using what we've already got is a major step in the direction of green living.

On the other hand, the little unemployed writer is hesitant to let go of large amounts of cash. While the company makes it easy on you (I can use one of the credit cards that I don't have), the cost of the recycle kit and shipping for several pounds of batteries might give the average consumer pause.

Like any aspect of green living, the decision to recycle batteries takes commitment and effort. Until my husband or I find a job, I think I'll be putting some effort into convincing our local recycling center that collecting batteries is a good idea.

What do you do with old batteries? How much would you be willing to pay to recycle them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's not an answering machine, but your message is still welcome.