Monday, November 1, 2010

Market Madness: labels

Okay, so when a bottle of water has a list of ingredients on the label, things have gone too far. Flour has been stripped down and "enriched" with the stuff they just took out, orange juice contains enhancements not found in nature, and half-and-half is more like who knows what.

The corn industry is pushing to change the name of High Fructose Corn Syrup to "Corn Sugar". Because we all know that the name makes all the difference. "Hey, it worked for rapeseed, why not an engineered sweetener?"

She said with an eye roll...

I read labels. I try to skip things with ingredients that sound like diseases or crayons. I wouldn't swim in a yellow lake, so I probably shouldn't eat it, either. I think the most bizarre thing I've discovered on a food label is Glycerol Ester of Wood Rosin. This particular ingredient is touted as "naturally derived" and necessary for uniform flavor. Well, I've scooped stuff off my lawn that's naturally derived, but I have no intention of dropping it in my drink.

I'm a suspicious person. I want to know who's calling. Why does the boss look nervous? Why is this box ticking?

What's in our food?

3 comments:

  1. We tend to stick to farmers' markets, organic stuff, it's safe and no additives, but the cost! Sad that it is beyond many people's reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good commentary on something we should be concerned about. It's a crazy world out there, but most of us don't take time to read all those labels. We should!

    Monti
    NotesAlongTheWay

    ReplyDelete

It's not an answering machine, but your message is still welcome.